Climb Higher - You"ll See Farther

Climb Higher - You"ll See Farther
photo by Tom Uhlman www.tomuphoto.com

Tuesday, November 04, 2008

I'LL FEEL LIKE AN IDIOT!

I'll FEEL LIKE AN IDIOT!

Jordan clutched his latest fundraising tickets in his hand as I watched the veins
popping out of his neck in utter frustration.

As part of the High School Varsity baseball team, he was expected to engage in
direct door to door selling to raise money for the program. I tried to teach him how
to leverage his efforts by selling where many sports fans would already be congregating.

Unfortunately, he would have nothing of it.

Finally the youthful athlete blurted out, "I'll feel like an idiot!"

Silence.

I'll feel like an idiot.

Have you ever avoided a critical task because you hated "feeling like an idiot?"

Of course you have. We all have.

The fact is, at any given time, you are doing what you are doing for one
of two reasons:

1. To avoid pain- as in feeling stupid
2. To gain pleasure - as in feeling great

I don't want any of my readers feeling like an idiot at any time, unless
of course they have the good sense to laugh at themselves and can
keep going painlessly.

Last week we talked about being heard in a noisy marketplace.

Some people don't truly want to be heard, because they are afraid
of rejection.

Let's see how to clear that up right now. Take a deep breath and
practice the following steps:

1. Acknowledge your distressing emotion

Even though certain emotions don't feel good, they are a part
of your psyche. They usually just display your learned response
to stress. At any rate, your subconscious mind is simply doing
its best to protect you, so let it know you're aware of the emotion.

2. Offer acceptance or forgiveness

It's easy to feel bad towards yourself or someone else when your
emotions are firing off into fear, anger or dread. This is the moment
to accept yourself in spite of the emotion, and offer forgiveness to
whatever has triggered your distress.

3. Create an empowering choice

You can't control what happens to you, but you can ultimately choose
how you will respond to it. Now that you've acknowledged your
physical state and offered acceptance anyway, you can choose the
response of your choice.

All together - put your hands on your heart and rub or tap there as
you make a power set up.

"Even though I hate feeling like an idiot, I totally accept myself
anyway, and I choose to be calm and confident."

Try to get as specific as possible behind the emotion as you repeat:

"Even though I hate feeling like an idiot, because I care what people
think about me, I totally accept myself anyway, and I forgive people
for judging me. Now I choose to be calm and confident."

Great.

Now if you want to take that further, we have a tapping technique
that is the hottest thing right now in the realm of peak performance.
You can learn about it in my book, Flow on Demand - the Athlete's
Edge.

The important thing is to get clear on those emotions and choose
love and peace anyway. Ultimately, you will reprogram yourself
so that the formerly stressful trigger now puts you in a state of
peace and confidence.

I help clients every week turn their mental blocks into breakthroughs.

It is my passion.

Until next time, keep playing hard...

And enjoy your game.

In your corner,

Gina

No comments: